Join us for a 2.5-mile walk at the Penbrook Community Park!
Date: Wednesday, September 8th
Time: 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. (approximate)
Meeting point: The Penbrook Community Park at 31st Street and Boas Street in Penbrook, at the park pavilion
This wellness Walk With A Doc program is designed to provide some general health information and a moderately-paced walk around the Greenbelt's Paxtang Parkway. It will be an up and back walk so participants can turn back at anytime to customize the length of their walk based on their own individual fitness needs.
Leading this walk will be Dr. Chris Sciamanna from Penn State Health. Dr. Sciamanna is a Primary Care doctor and researcher at Penn State who is focused on designing and testing exercise programs that will improve the physical function of older adults and that, importantly, they will do willingly and make into life-long habits. There will be a quick talk by Dr. Sciamanna before the walk. Participants can feel free to engage in questions and conversation throughout the walk.
Most of the walk will be flat, but there are some slightly elevated areas. The full walk is estimated to take 1-hour based on the pace of the walkers. We encourage you to come out and join the walk for as long or as little as you are able.
Things to Know Before you Go:
- You may encounter slightly uneven terrain along with paved surfaces.
- Dress for the weather and wear comfortable supportive shoes.
- Bring a bottle of water with you to stay hydrated.
- You may want to bring a hat, sunglasses, bug spray, and sunscreen.
- There is adequate parking available at the park.
- "Porta Potty" style restroom facilities are available at the start/end of the walk.
- The short feeder path from the park to the Greenbelt is not handicap accessible. Anyone with this need can join the group at the Greenbelt trailhead at Market Street Road and 28th Street. Please contact us directly if you will be using this option.
This walk is being organized by Penbrook Borough Walk With A Doc group, Capital Area Greenbelt Association, and Dauphin County Parks & Recreation Department as part of the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources September Walk With A Doc initiative.
This walk is being supported as part of the Park Rx programs sponsored by Highmark Blue Shield through the Dauphin County Parks & Recreation Department.
COVID-19 UPDATE (8/30/21) - In the past few weeks there has been an increase in COVID cases among the unvaccinated (children included). The new variant, Delta, has a high transmission rate. The CDC has elevated the Dauphin County community to be that of substantial risk of exposure. We strongly encourage our guests to wear masks at this program until you are socially distanced from other participants. While we encourage mask wearing, we are not mandating it.