Join us for a 2.5-mile walk at the Penbrook Community Park!
Meeting point: The Penbrook Community Park at 31st Street and Boas Street in Penbrook, at the park pavilion
This Walk With A Doc program is designed to provide some general health information and a moderately-paced walk around the Greenbelt's Paxtang Parkway. It will be an up and back walk so participants can turn back at any time to customize the length of their walk based on their own individual fitness needs. All ages are welcome to attend, but we do ask that children be accompanied by a responsible adult.
April Walk (4/27/22)- Dr. Brandt Groh will lead our April 27th Walk With A Doc Walk. He is a Penn State Health Physician in Pediatric Rheumatology. He will be speaking on Tick-Borne Diseases and Tick Bite Prevention.
September Walk (9/1/22) - Dr. Cayce Onks of Penn State Health will lead the September 1st walk. Her topic will be the benefits of step counts along with exercise and physical activity for overall health.
The walk will be flat, but there are some slightly elevated areas. The full walk is estimated to take 1-hour based on the pace of the walkers. We encourage you to come out and join the walk for as long or as little as you are able.
Things to Know Before you Go:
- You may encounter slightly uneven terrain along with paved surfaces.
- Dress for the weather and wear comfortable supportive shoes.
- Bring a bottle of water with you to stay hydrated.
- You may want to bring a hat, sunglasses, bug spray, and sunscreen.
- There is adequate parking available at the park.
- "Porta-Potty" style restroom facilities are available at the start/end of the walk.
- The short feeder path from the park to the Greenbelt is not handicap accessible. Anyone with this need can join the group at the Greenbelt trailhead at Market Street Road and 28th Street. Please contact us directly if you will be using this option.
This walk is being organized by Penbrook Borough Walk With A Doc group, Capital Area Greenbelt Association, Susquehanna Township Walk With A Doc group, and Dauphin County Parks & Recreation Department.
This walk is being supported as part of the Park Rx programs sponsored by Highmark Blue Shield through the Dauphin County Parks & Recreation Department.
If you register for the walk and are no longer able to attend, please contact Nancy Gates | Assistant Program Manager | Dauphin County Parks & Recreation Department | [email protected] |717-599-5188, ext. 2113. Thank you!